My Favorite Movie Ever

Thursday, July 10, 2008


 
Recognize the people in this picture? If you do, then chances are you are a certified, true blue fan of the movie Sound of Music! Yes, those are silhouettes of Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer in that romantic scene in the garden when they finally reveal their feelings for each other while singing 'Perhaps I had a wicked childhood. Perhaps I had a miserable youth! But somewhere in my youth and childhood, I must have done something good..." Cut! O ayan, I got carried away again singing one of my favorite songs from the movie!

Saw the movie on TV some days ago so I stopped what I was doing and followed it to its happily-ever-after end. Just like the 101 or so times I've seen it, it left me again with a feeling that all the adversities of this world can be cured with a a spirit of optimism, forbearance, and of course, true love .

I watched it first as a child in grade school. While it was showing in the movie houses, I distinctly remember finding every reason to watch it with anyone who would care to bring me along to see it . I couldn't get enough of "Do-Re-Mi" and and after seeing the movie all of maybe six times, I could sing all of the songs by heart. (Actually, hanggang ngayon yata kaya ko pa rin yan!) Of course, half of time I couldn't understand what some of the words meant but the melodies were enough to make my heart soar.
I loved singing "My Favorite Things" even if I didn't have a clue what schnitzels and crisp apple streudels were. I imagined myself as Leizl flirting with Rolf in "I am 16 going on 17." I shed a tear or two everytime the father sang "Edelweiss" during the farewell concert. Of course, "Climb every Mountain" never failed to stir my soul and for months I would bid my family and friends good-bye by singing "So Long, Farewell."

You'd think this childhood fanaticism would wane with the advent of my interest in more serious, if not morose, themes in movies. But no, like a subject given a post-hypnotic suggestion, every time I see it showing I just have to be that little girl once again. Yet each time I watch it, I see facets which I never noticed before. It is as if there are layers of reality which were hidden and could only be uncovered because I had become older and maybe, wiser?

The layers would reveal how war and the invasion of a country could never be justified by whatever benevolent reasons occupying forces use to rationalize their actions. That courage and heroism can be found not only in those who choose to fight in the war front but in those who confront injustice and stand up for their rights. Then of course, that it couldn't have been easy for a family to start a new life bereft of all that was comfortable and familiar. And oh, another belated realization: Christopher Plummer was Hot!

There might be more valuable lessons to learn from it, who knows? But the beautiful music and the breathtaking setting will be reasons for me to look forward to watching it with my future grandchildren!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?