The Papa Lane

Feb 9, '08 10:04 PM

UP Diliman Academic Oval

     Most days, after rushing through the preparations for the day ahead, I take a 20-minute ride to an oasis. When I am met by this canopy of trees, it seems like breaking through an invisible barrier and being transported into a different world. It is as if a magic air envelops me and a promise of respite from the polluted jungle I have come from immediately follows. 

     Yes, these Acacia trees have been all these for me for many years. But they took on a new light about 2 years ago when during one ride with Papa (probably his last to the campus), he proudly proclaimed that he was one of those who planted those trees on that lane. He said that when they first moved to the new Diliman campus from the Manila campus around 1948, that space was devoid of those beautiful trees. They were asked to plant the seedlings then that would be 60 years later, these monuments to the pioneers of Diliman.

     Now, everytime I gaze at these trees not only are my eyes blessed with their majesty but my spirit is embraced by the thought that somehow my father lives on in those trees.

     And thus I name that space the Andres Ramilo Lane!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?