My Refuge

Psych best buddies

            At 55, I am like a mother to this group of 20+ and 30+ year-olds. I do play that role to them sometimes but most often, I like believing that I'm just one of the gang. I hang out in the lounge in between and after classes and take long lunch breaks with them. Our tummy-aching laughter is our balm to our not-at-all humdrum life as teachers.  Trying to mold the lives (not only minds) of our students the best way we can gets tough sometimes. Avoiding being hit in the cross-fire or being the target itself in some skirmishes is a challenge we have to face, and it really, really helps that we can seek cover in each other's company. Getting our act together as decent human beings is a tad easier knowing that  with our slips and mistakes,  we will expect any of us to say "Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!"  but that same someone will lift us up, anyway.  Our seemingly mundane victories (ranging from completing a syllabus to getting the perfect haircut) are easily celebrated with cafeteria food, drinks, and paeans to our talent or the strength of our spirits (Translation: katarayan)!  

            T, J, D, C (& E, who was in class when this picture was taken),  I have become a better person, if not a better teacher, because you do not shirk from sharing your lives with me.  You have allowed me to see more of the world through your wide-open eyes.  And because of this, despite the things that come my way that might equate to the beginnings of a jaded soul, my spirit has managed to remain young. Thank you, with all of my heart!

          

Comments

  1. Hi, Ma'am! So nice to see some of the most inspiring psych teachers in UP in one photo!

    If I may share, Ma'am, I'm also a psych teacher myself now. :) Needless to say, you're one of my inspirations to join the field. For that, I thank you po again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great, Mai! I'm sure you're doing very well as a teacher because you were one of those good students who inspire us to do our best! Where are you teaching?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?