More than enough

Your uncolored lips, your asymmetrical face
Your tousled hair, your body dimensions
They surely will not rate high beside photographed beauties
They may not be enough to rouse the man in me.

You voice in the shower
Your hands in the kitchen
They will not earn accolades and awards
They may be enough only for perfunctory praises from me.

Your in-the-background, soft-spoken ways
Your unbidden stream of apologies
They betrayed nothing of your yesterdays
They were not enough for me to see your wounds.

Your disguised smiles and laughter
The sighs you would hold back
They spoke little of the turmoil brewing in your soul
They were not enough for me to see how much you needed me.

It’s not that you were not enough
It’s not that you were nondescript where others sparkled
It’s not that I looked elsewhere for things absent in you
It might have been that lust overshadowed love that was for you.

It’s because I didn’t look deep enough
I didn’t care where your far-away gazes took you
I should have relished the hopeful twinkle in your eyes
And the earnestness of your arms around me.

It’s because I didn’t pay heed to your lips
Quivering with unrealized love
Whispering unsaid pleas to feel your heart
And if I had done so, I’d unhesitatingly love you back.

I foolishly took for granted
How you closed your eyes to my acts of unkindness
How your mere presence quieted my qualms
How your body glowed in our rare moments of oneness.

I didn’t  know love when it most mattered
It is my regrettable, unrecoverable loss 
That I failed to tell you when I could
That you were and always will be
More than enough for me! 


24 March

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?