A Tribute to Mrs. B, National Artist


 In 1973, I graduated from high school and a few months later, entered UP Diliman as a college freshman. A mixture of exhiliration and a sense of foreboding (Martial Law baby here) accompanied my first few weeks there. My teachers were brilliant and many of my classmates were not so far behind! On some days, I felt proud of myself for just being there but on most days (especially during Math 11), I wondered whether I would even survive the semester!

But there was one place where I felt safe! It was in my English 1 class and our teacher was Prof. Amelia Lapena-Bonifacio.  She not only taught us the rudiments of writing in English but regaled us with stories of her life! Mrs. B radiated an aura of kindness, gentleness, and patience and thus, the hours I spent in her clasroom were not filled with my academic insecurities! 

One day, she asked me and another classmate to stay after class. Intensely curious about the reason for this, I nervously did that. She asked us what we were majoring in and suggested that we might want to think about shifting to her department! Oh wow! My heart leapt at this suggestion and I told her I would think about it. It was a life-changing moment for me! No, I didn’t shift but decided to remain a Psych. major (maybe because I still didn’t know about Psychological  Statistics then).  But there are days that I still wonder how things could have gone if I had taken that other path! 

I emerged from that after-class conversation with Mrs. B with my 16-year-old ego jumping from a low of 3 to a high of 8 on the Self-esteem scale! She was responsble for showing me that I had the potential to do well in something! She opened my fearful eyes to the possibilities that were before me! For these, I am eternally grateful to her!  I probably wouldn’t be where I am today if it were not for her! 

Thank you, Mrs. B! May God receive you in His loving embrace! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?