Yesterday’s Light of a Million Mornings

For Fr. Ron Mariano Roberto on his 10th Sacerdotal Ordination Anniversary

The past few weeks have been filled with a lot of challenges brought about the COVID-19 situation. What started as seemingly just a minor health concern that could be easily handled by taking heed of prescribed measures has progressed into battling an enemy with unknown and fearful powers that have already resulted in death for many.

Two Sundays ago, while serving mass as commentator, I regretted at not staying home even if I felt weak because midway through the mass I got dizzy and nauseous. I threw up in an adjoining room soon before I could go home. Thoughts of the virus filled my head but because it was an unusually warm day, I attributed my condition to heat exhaustion. But alarm levels were ringing in my head! The following day, I dealt with what felt like a throat infection by using my full arsenal of essential oils for boosting my immunity, salabat, and Pei Pa Koa. Battle won after 4 days! So even if I did not exhibit the other symptoms associated with COVID-19, I realized that my being in the most vulnerable age-group was a palpable reality that I or any member of my family could fall victim to this disease!

The directive to hold online classes when face-to-face classes were no longer allowed initially brought some relief. But the challenge of preparing necessary materials and choosing the mode that will reach students pushed my anxiety button! While I am an avid student of new technology, I did not seem to have the capacity and patience to learn new things while struggling with thoughts on how to make sure there is food on the table for our household of 5 during the period of community quarantine.

I heard about the death due to COVID-19 of the father of a former student
and learned about medical interns, one of which was a former student, volunteering to stay on in hospitals even if they were allowed to go home further briught me nearer to an emotional state bordering on desolation and helplessness. I felt like a parent to these kids who were facing risks of getting seriously ill and even dying.  I realized then that a crisis doesn’t become real until it hits you and people you know!

 While we prayed and attended online masses and recollections, these seemed to only partially fill a void that was slowly engulfing me. I seem to have been falling into a dimly lit place where every piece of sad news led me to tears!

Last March 19 was the feast of St. Joseph, my patron saint. In my childhood, this day was much anticipated because of the celebrations we had in school to honor him. It was also the 10th anniversary of the Sacerdotal Ordination of our beloved parish priest. In lieu of a celebration, he gifted the parishioners by going around all the streets of the parish in a motorized procession of the Blessed Sacrament. Like a dutiful parish servant, I waited with my family  by the roadside to pay honor to dear Lord Jesus who would pass by our homes! But as the short procession approached our street and there was our parish priest holding the monstrance containing the Holy Eucharist and blessing our household, I was dazzled by the light emanating from it! It was the “light of a million mornings” that told me that I should try to get out of the dark place because Jesus has not only come to visit us but has promised to journey with us through the bumpy road still ahead of us!

Thank you, Fr. Ron Mariano Roberto, for that glorious moment when I felt so loved by the Lord! Thank you for being with us through thick and thin and leading us with your practical wisdom and humor. This greeting is late because I have been rather slow stepping into the light again. This song is my gift to you on your anniversary! Maybe you’ll sing this for us one day, Fr. Ron?

Link for Madrigal Singers version of “Light of a Million Mornings”
https://youtu.be/mF_RvzH_IlM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?