Lessons from an induction cooker

Got a new induction cooker two weeks ago after the old one got busted due to a power surge! Hard to let the old one go because it cost a pretty penny and I had not milked its worth just yet. I also really enjoyed cooking on it with its super fast heating feature which allowed me to cook stuff in half the time it usually took in a conventional stove. But that's the way it is!

While trying to cook on it for the first time, I was very careful not to cause an overload again like the last time. But the size and design of its plug made sure that this would not happen as it hogged the two outlets so that no other appliance's plug could be used there. That created a problem because I had to use a range hood when I was cooking so that my place wouldn't be filled with the smell of whatever was in the pot or pan! I also had to cook rice at the same time if I wanted our hot meal to be ready all at the same time. But it was not to be with the gigantic plug lording it over two electrical sockets! We ended up using the rice cooker in the middle of the living room and opting to just use the range hood and spraying the room with air freshener after the smelly cooking was done!

But while cooking, I discovered something wonderful (the description is not an exaggeration, I promise!) about the cooker. It had a Pause button! When I was in a panic over the contents of a pot that was on the verge of boiling over, daughter pushed the button and lo and behold, the heat stopped instantly. Those few seconds of not needing to turn the flame down saved me the effort of having to clean up a mess later! I fell in love with it at that moment!

But what to do? Even a person in love has to choose between having to put up with serious inadequacies or allow that single feature to make up for them. After much thought, practical me wanted to return it to the store. But my ever-handyman-hubby said he might be able to find a solution to the plug problem so I wouldn't have to search for a replacement. And yes, he managed to trim it down to make room for another appliance to be used in that outlet! My hero!

And yes, as I am wont to do in seemingly mundane episodes in my life, I manage to pick insights from them! Why was I so enamored of the Pause feature of the induction cooker? Was it because I am in a point of my life that I need a Pause button from all the events and circumstances surrounding me? Am I overwhelmed by my commitments and approaching deadlines that without a reprieve from them, I would boil over and make a mess of my life?

Has my pursuit of an elusive goal pushed aside all other commitments that may be just as important? I guess the answer is in trimming some parts of my plug so there is now adequate space in my life for people who matter most to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?