WYD moms

Melde, Menchie, & Me

It was a privilege being one of the adult pilgrims to the last World Youth Day celebration held in Madrid, Spain. While the event is primarily for the youth, adults or in the case of the Diocese of Cubao, mommies are most welcome to join the delegation. I was the oldest member of the delegation, with the two other mothers younger than me by a few years. My age, I tried my damn best not to show. This was not out of vanity but a determination to show that I belonged here with the youth, and that I would not be a burden to them.
After Cuatro Vientos
      I succeeded in having some people believe that I was just in my forties. The secret on how to do this is wear exactly what the kiddos in your group are wearing and wear dark sunglasses to hide the wrinkles around your eyes. Plus, not to admit that you are in the company of your 27-year old son and 23-year old daughter. Hehehe! But, of course, I couldn't fool my body into thinking I was less than my real age. While I courageously trudged on during the kilometric walks under the piercingly hot sun and stayed in very spartan living conditions, every single day my prayer would that I be allowed to finish the pilgrimage without any mishap or a visit to a doctor. It was especially trying during the Pilgrim Walk which had me almost collapsing because of exhaustion & dehydration. Good thing this mother had her daughter by her side to take care of her during this ultra-challenging moment!

     I know too well that only by the grace of God did I survive WYD 2011. It was a gift, a reminder that one's age and infirmities should never get in the way of enriching one's life and faith. Now, there's talk of preparations for the next WYD which will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2013. I'll be turning 57 by then! Shall I or shall I? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like butter, slowly melting

The Fear of Excess

Falling out of Love?